2018 Album of the Year- Nathaniel Rateliff & the Night Sweats: Tearing at the Seams

Since 2017,  at the beginning of the year, I create a Playlist named for the current year. During the year, as a song strikes my fancy I drop it into that year's playlist. It could be a old song, could be a new one. The songs that fill each year often strike a sentimental tone or feeling based upon the events at that time. For instance, my 2018 playlist has a few Cranberries songs in memory of the death of Delores O' riordan.

The Year started off musically with The War on Drugs and their sublime "Thinking of a Place". I think I listened to this long track at least 50 times. Japanese Breakfast make me blush and I even gave props to The Greatest Showman with the standout track "This is Me". Being the father of a little girl, this one made me smile.

I had a slight Kurt Vile obsession after discovering Deluxe Daze(Post Haze), I still cant get enough of "Wakin on a Pretty Day".

My go to girl, Neko Case dropped a new Album "Hell On". Favorite Track? Probably Gumball Blue for the winner of the best lyric of the year:

"I've lived singing your songs, Long-Legged mazes and English geometry..."

What does it mean? To me it reminds me of my own decades long love of The Cure, but that's me.

After all that, I kept returning to a Album that came out in the first quarter.

2018 Album of the Year- Nathaniel Rateliff & the Night Sweats: Tearing at the Seams

Image result for nathaniel rateliff tearing at the seams


It is hard to describe their sound, a little R&B, a little soul, a little 60's doo-wop mixed with Gaslight Anthem's 59' Sound. Their sound is classic, vintage, yet relevant and joyful. I kept returning to this Album throughout my year and its up's and downs. This year as I observed changes in relationships, the cruelty of old age and death and the unremitting march of time the title track "Tearing at the Seams" touched me in many ways:

Well, half of us tied and
Half of us in chains
We'll cover our eyes and
We'll cover our mouths just the same

Those lyrics reminded me that so much of life is beyond our control, and our ability to change. We are at the mercy of time, and others actions. Still, as the final lyrics of the Album say....

"They are going to have to drag us away.."

Those final lyrics of the track...half sung, half bellowing bring the entire affair to a poignant close.



Comments

Popular Posts