The Salsa Festival 2008- Oxnard, Ca






The Salsa Festival, Oxnard, Ca

Every year during the warm days of Summer, at the end of July, the City Of Oxnard hosts the Salsa Festival. Oxnard is better known for that other festival held in May known as the Strawberry Festival.

I have to say that The Salsa Festival in my opinion is the better Festival. It may not be as big or famous, but it sure seems to be getting that way. It’s still a small area, not nearly as big as College park, but that may be a good thing. Major props go to the event organizers. Crowded but not so much as to curse humanity and the Weather was perfect!

What do expect of a festival? I expect it to be well organized, and to have at least something to do with the name of the festival. How many of us have been to a “Festival” only to be paraded by numerous dubious vendors selling incense and garbage that has nothing to do with festival it claims to represent. (Cough* Citrus Festival in Santa Paula*cough)

Yes there is knick knackery of every type, but there is also Salsa, and lots of it! And there is Salsa Music, Live! And Salsa Dancing, ooh the Salsa festivities go on and on. Who can forget the crowd favorite Salsa Tent. For 5 bucks you get a bucket of chips and 10 tickets to try salsa from the vendors lining the tent. I actually did a shot of Habenero Salsa on a dare from one of the vendors! And yes I had the Obligatory roasted corn, and snow cone.

This is the festival of choice for me now. Now if I could just learn to Salsa I’d be in business.

Comments

Popular Posts